Every year our team hosts several career fairs, beginning with the annual Engineering, Science, and Technology fair in September! Learn how to navigate any career fair like a pro with these 4 action steps.
1. Gather everything you will need for the fair.
- Resumes (1 for each employer you plan to visit – plus a few more)
- Portfolio or nice folder
- A pen, notepad, and your research notes for quick reminders about targeted companies
- Breath mints (not gum)
2. Check in at the registration table, get your name tag, and check out the event map.
Don’t bring your backpack into the fair. Leave it at home (or bring it to the bag drop-off site at the event if one if publicized in advance).
3. Use your time effectively.
Make a list of the companies you want to meet and prioritize them. You may not be able to speak with everyone. Instead of speaking with your top choice first, consider trying out your greeting and pitch with an employer (or two) on the second half of your list. You’ll be more prepared to approach your top choices.
4. Be confident as you approach each employer.
Walking up and introducing yourself to a recruiter may be new or uncomfortable, but they’re here because their company is interested in hiring Hoos! Offer eye contact, a smile, and a handshake (firm, 1-2 pumps). Deliver your 30-second pitch and have a couple of questions in mind for each employer. Be mindful of others who may be waiting, and wrap up the conversation by asking for a business card and next steps in the hiring process. HINT: On the back of business cards, write down a few key points from the conversation. This will help you remember “who said what” and make writing post-career fair thank you notes a breeze.