Spring 2021 GWL Adjustments- continuing online
GWL offerings are all available through online platforms with no in person components. In response to university changes, the GWL has made the following adjustments:
- All consultations are being offered online through zoom - book online here
- To learn more about our online consultations please see the 'online appointments' section of the consultations page.
- You can still request custom times for Zoom appointments and we have more flexibility in filling these requests
- Consultation limits for documents, hours, and eligibility remain the same.
- PRGs remain online via Zoom
- PRG communication for members is still via Slack
- All Spring 2021 events (workshops, panels, showcases) are being offered through Zoom only.
- There is no in person workshop offering for these events.
- To participate, register for the event in advance. The zoom link will be emailed to registered participants. Sometimes the zoom link is emailed to grad engineering students on the day of the event for last minute joining.
- For events that do not have registration (ex. software showcases), the zoom link is posted on the event page.
- At the time of the event sign in with your UVA Zoom account and copy/paste the link to a browser to join the event.
- Events are real time synchronous and typically not recorded, although slides or related resources may be available through a collab or by request. Note also that most events are offered on a regular basis so participation may be possible in another semester.
- Events are listed with UVA's time zone.
- WriteHere! is expected to continue to operate through the #writehere channel in Slack & has added zoom as a primary participation method
- Check in to your session in Slack or Zoom to be counted on the attendance & share your goals
- WriteHere! sessions will be via Zoom and or Slack
Complete offering details are available on the website.
Zoom: UVA provides free Zoom Pro accounts. If you have not set yours up yet, you can create a UVA Zoom account here.
Zoom Desktop & training: Zoom desktop or mobile app is required to present your work via screen share in consultations & PRGs. You can download Zoom desktop client and mobile apps here, and find out more on Zoom's site. You can also see more about how Zoom is used in consultations by viewing the 'online appointments' section of the GWL's one-on-one consultations page. This section explains how to use zoom for presenting and getting feedback on your work and includes links to our screenshot step-by-step guide for students.
The physical GWL office may be closed, but operations continue as usual as much as possible. Email & Slack continue to be our regular means of communication. We still welcome new ideas, collaborations, and volunteers. Graduate students or postdocs with questions or concerns are encouraged to email email@example.com or private message kellyc (GWL) in Slack as usual.
We expect these adjustments to remain in place at least through the Spring 2021 semester.
This information was late updated 1/6/2021