Finding the Help You Need

How do you know where to go to get help?  It depends upon what type of help you need. 

While there are many resources for support at the University, we encourage students to advocate for themselves to the best of their ability and seek out support early and often

It is especially crucial that if you encounter a significant problem that impacts your academics very broadly (i.e., is not confined to a single class), you should seek support and consultation.

  • Departmental Support

    Graduate Program Advising

    Your faculty advisor, the program coordinator, and the director of the graduate program are your primary contacts in your department. Reach out to them with matters related to research, academic progress, funding concerns, and problems within your program.


    Graduate Directors and Coordinators
  • Office of Graduate Programs Support

    Come to us when:

    The Office of Graduate Programs leads and provides direction for all aspects of UVA Engineering's graduate education program, and includes School-wide contacts such as the Associate Dean for Graduate Education, Graduate Registrars, and more.

    Connect With Us
  • Student Wellness Support

    Welling being, Counseling & Psychological Services

    UVA Engineering has both an embedded Assistant Dean of Students and CAPS counselor to help support students with anxiety, depression, relationship, and family concerns as well as trauma and grief. Additionally, the University offers many central services, from mental and physical health to relaxation spaces and a wide variety of support centers.

    Wellness and Health Support