Give to BME
Your contribution to the UVA Department of Biomedical Engineering, no matter its size, enables the department to continue to grow research programs, enhance the student experience, modernize facilities and provide resources for leadership to react quickly to emerging opportunities and critical needs.
Your contributions support our priority areas:
Graduate Fellowships for Master of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering Program
Jumpstart the career of a young biomedical engineer by funding a fellowship for students enrolled in the new 15-month Master of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering.
At the University of Virginia, BME Master of Engineering students join forces with clinicians and students in Nursing and Medicine to identify, characterize and create solutions for biomedical technology-related challenges in inpatient, outpatient, procedural and community settings.
Clinical immersion is combined with rigorous coursework, intensive training in biomedical data sciences and a deep dive into design thinking. This set of experiences is precisely what young biomedical engineers need to become private sector leaders who can innovate across the care continuum.
- Gifts of graduate student support can be made at any level (indicate BME ME program when making your gift)
- $100,000 or more will endow a graduate fellowship within the program. Matching funds from the University may also be available at this level.
Going Pro is a program that supports PhD students participating in 2-month long industry internships during their graduate training, typically in their 3rd or 4th year. This unique experience enriches their dissertation research and gives them invaluable opportunities to network with prospective employers and learn about the biomedical and biotechnology industries – from the inside, working within a company.
$3,500 will support a GoingPro student for one month of his/her industry internship
$7,000 will support a GoingPro student for the full two months of his/her industry internship
Every penny that is donated toward this cause goes directly to support these student experiences. Indicate BME Going Pro when making your gift.
Research Seed Grants
Our close proximity to the School of Medicine makes it easy to partner with physicians and basic scientists to address unmet patient needs and engage in discovery science. Support for research seed funding provides critical resources to form new research collaborations and launch promising new projects at the engineering-medicine interface.
General Department Support
Gifts of unrestricted support help build momentum for UVA Biomedical Engineering and provide flexible resources for the Chair to meet the department’s needs. These gifts allow us to respond nimbly to transformative opportunities in research and education and support the overall operation of the Biomedical Engineering department.
- Thornton Society ($2,500 and above):
- The Thornton Society is a community of UVA Engineering’s most loyal and generous supporters. Through unrestricted investments, Thornton Society members empower the Department of Biomedical Engineering to tackle complex challenges facing our society.
- Thornton Society for Young Alumni ($1,000 and above):
- Young alumni serve and support our programs with unique perspectives based upon recent experiences within UVA Engineering. Young alumni who give at the Thornton Society level make an immediate impact on the Department of Biomedical Engineering and help us achieve our vision as one of the most innovative, forward-thinking engineering schools in the nation.
Giving by Check:
Send your check, made to "UVEF" to:
Shayn Peirce-Cottler, Professor and Chair
Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
PO Box 400256
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4741