Welcome to Computer Engineering

Welcome to Computer Engineering at the University of Virginia. As Computer Engineers, you are a member of both the departments of Computer Science and Electrical & Computer Engineering,


During the week before classes begin, the Computer Engineering Program will hold an orientation for PhD students and Masters students.    The date and time will be announced.  The School of Engineering Orientation will be Friday August 21 in the afternoon. This is a good time for new students to meet other students as well as faculty.



Student Total Advising Page

Includes information for students about life at the University and the Community.  Although this page is geared toward undergraduate students, you still may find much of the information useful.



Email Address

Please go to EMAIL ADDRESS to activate your UVa email.  All official communication at UVA will come to this email account.  


 International Students

The Orientation for incoming International Students is being held online this year.  More information is available at the INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS & SCHOLARS WEBSITE.


Health Insurance

All UVA students must have health insurance and must complete the Health Insurance Hard Waiver. Students receiving funding will be provided with health insurance through the University. You will need to sign up for this once you arrive and need to sign up each year in August. If you are not receiving funding you may also sign up, but will have to pay for your premium. All students may add dental insurance that can be purchased separately. This premium is not paid by UVA. Visit the following links for more information and to sign up:


Graduate Student Funding and Job Opportunities

Computer Engineering Students have different options for funding. 

ME students may work on grounds while pursuing their degree.  The CS department hires MTAs that are Masters students who are paid by the hour for tasks such as grading assignments, holding office hours to help students, etc. These MTAs typically pay approx. $15/hr and are 10-20 hrs/week. MTA positions offer no other benefits and do not waive or reduce the tuition costs – so tuition would still need to be paid in full by the MTA student. 

ME students may also apply to work at the University for any office for a maximum of 20 hours per week.  If you are interested in applying to work at the University, please contact the Graduate Coordinator for additional information.

PhD students receive a financial aid package to work as Graduate Research Assistants or to work as Teaching Assistants.  This funding includes full tuition and health insurance.


Information for funded students

Sometime after you arrive, you will receive information on your stipend and when you should expect to begin receiving your payments. It may be as late as Oct. 1 before you receive a paycheck so try to bring enough money to last for 6 weeks.

The payroll paperwork required for new students has been centralized and is now handled by our Human Resource Office in Workday.  Shortly after you arrive, you will receive an email asking you to complete the I-9 Form, Employment Eligibility Verifcation.  You will have 3 days to complete that paperwork.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

 International students who are funded or plan to work must obtain a Social Security Card as soon as possible  The International Office will provide you with a form at orientation to begin the process.  

Please take the completed form and your required documents to:

Social Security Office
1470 Pantops Mountain Place
Charlottesville, VA 22911
(800) 772-1213
(434) 295-1144


English Language Exams

All International Students whose first language is not English are required to take the UVELPE test. We also require that each student take the SPEAK test so that you are eligible to work.  Note that the UVELPE and the SPEAK test are both diagnostic tests used to determine the type of ESL training a student will need to succeed  Based on the results, some students are recommended for writing or spoken English classes, designed to ensure a successful research and teaching career at the University of Virginia.  All of the information on these tests can be found on the CENTER FOR AMERICAN ENGLISH LANGUAGE & CULTURE WEBSITE.