LOCATION AND WEATHER CONTINGENCIES
- Fair-Weather Location: Old Cabell Hall, Auditorium (12:30 p.m.), Map
- Inclement-Weather Location: Same | Severe-Weather Location: Same
- BME Department Contact: Kitter Bishop (434) 245-0494, email@example.com
- 10:00 Lawn Ceremony
- 12:30p BME Diploma Ceremony Old Cabell Hall (#31 on this Webmap)
- 1:30p BME Reception at South Commons (#43 on this Webmap)
- Light lunch provided by Mona Lisa Pasta
- Location is South Commons (adjacent to Nau/Gibson Halls) (#43 on this Webmap)
- The accustomed route from Old Cabell to South Commons has stairs. This ADA Map shows the accessibility routes. Following the Diploma Ceremony, there will be escorts posted at the Old Cabell elevators to assist travel to South Commons.
- Lawn Ceremony tickets: click here
- Diploma Ceremony tickets: Each graduate receives six (6) tickets for the BME Diploma Ceremony. April 22 - May 3, 2019, pick up Diploma Ceremony tickets from Thornton A-122 between 10a-4p. May 3 - May 16, pick up Diploma Ceremony tickets from MR5 1041 between the hours of 9a-4p. May 17 - May 19, arrange pick up with firstname.lastname@example.org (your tickets will NOT make their way to Old Cabell on Sunday).
- Extra Diploma Ceremony tickets? There are likely to be 50 extra Diploma Tickets available by lottery. Email email@example.com with your needs by May 5. The exact number of extra Diploma Ceremony tickets and their allottment will be determined on May 6. You'll hear by email. Extra Diploma Ceremony tickets will be allotted and available for pick up on or after May 8.
- Unticketed guests: Once all ticketed guests are admitted to the Old Cabell Hall auditorium, if there is extra space, then guests without tickets will be welcome to enter. There is no standing room in Old Cabell Hall. Once seating capacity is reached, the doors are closed.
- Here is Parking Info from the Office of Major Events.
- Shuttles do not run on Jefferson Park Avenue and do not stop at South Commons, where the BME Reception takes place. You must walk back up to the Lawn to catch the Shuttle.
- The Health System South Garage is open to graduation parking on May 19 (it's #12 on this Webmap). This is a convenient location to the Lawn, Old Cabell, and South Commons. BUT there is no Shuttle from South Garage. You must be prepared to walk a half a mile to the Lawn, if you park in the South Garage.
- Kitter can secure closer-in parking pass for mobility impaired family members. Email firstname.lastname@example.org well ahead of time.
- Submit your honors and awards to: https://forms.gle/Mq2YfJE4fp2fJz356
- Where-to-be-When: Read "Dr. Guilford's simplified instructions for graduation" (also in your inbox)
- Undergraduate students: If your name is likely to challenge Dr. Allen, then please practice with him or email him an audio file or phonetic spelling: email@example.com
- Graduate students: If your name is likely to challenge Dr. Papin, then please practice with him or email him an audio file or phonetic spelling: firstname.lastname@example.org
CAPS AND GOWNS
- Caps and Gowns: click here
- PhD Hoods: The School of Engineering routinely provides graduating PhDs with their hoods. Your PhD mentor "hoods" you as part of the diploma ceremony. MS and ME students do not receive hoods.
THIRD YEAR VOLUNTEERS
- Annual training meeting is March 14, 2:00p, in the Old Cabell Hall Auditorium. We will do a dry run of the ceremony and reception from the perpective of an usher.
- Kitter has event badge and wristbands for volunteers. If you are unable to attend the the Annual Training, email Kitter@virginia.edu to arrange pick up.
- Plan to arrive the Old Cabell Auditorium by 11:00am on Sunday. Enter Old Cabell Hall from New Cabell Hall at the side entrance off the C-1 parking lot. You will need your event badge and wristband in order to enter Cabell Hall while the Lawn Ceremony is still taking place.
- Thank you, we couldn't do it without you!
- Regalia is available for pick up in the BME Office May 13-16. After May 16, email Kitter@virginia.edu to arrange pick up. Regalia will NOT be carried to Old Cabell Hall on Sunday.
- People with specific roles in the ceremony are: MC (Dr. Guilford), Chair (Dr. Epstein), Diploma Assistant/Graduate Name Reader (Dr. Papin), Marshall (Dr. Kelly), Undergraduate Name Reader (Timothy Allen)
- Meet in basement of Old Cabell after the Lawn Ceremony, no later than 12:15a.
- Metal detectors and clear bag policy.
- Faculty who are attending the Lawn Ceremony and Diploma Ceremony: No special instructions.
- Family members who are attending only the diploma ceremony and want to enter Old Cabell before the Lawn Ceremony ends: Get an Event Badge from Kitter.