LOCATION AND WEATHER CONTINGENCIES (note: it's possible this could change)
- Fair-Weather Location: Old Cabell Hall, Auditorium (11:30 a.m.), Map
- Inclement-Weather Location: Same | Severe-Weather Location: Same
- BME Department Contact: Kitter Bishop (434) 245-0494, firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHEDULE May 21, 2023 (note: it's possible this could change)
- 9:00 Lawn Ceremony
- 11:30a BME Diploma Ceremony Old Cabell Hall (Map)
- 12:30p BME Reception at South Commons (Map)
- Lawn Ceremony tickets: click here
- Update 1/19/2023: We are looking in to the possibility of a diploma ceremony location that will allow each student to recieve 6 Tickets (i.e. the same number of ticket that students receive for the Lawn Ceremony). This is because our much-beloved long-time location and perfect time (Old Cabell at 11:30am directly after the Lawn Ceremony) only allows each graduate to receive 5 Tickets to the BME Diploma Ceremony. This is due to an 851-person seating limit at Old Cabell Hall.
- Of course, the consistent School average is 4.7 guests per graduate. Wee had more graduates last year, and yet there were still a few empty seats in the end (not many!). We'd anticipate being able to accommodate graduates with 6 guests through two strategies: 1) Distribution of extra tickets that have been surrendered by other students, and 2) Seating of unticketd guests on a first-come first-served basis, after ticketed guests have been seated.
- Regardless of how it shakes out, Diploma Ceremony tickets disbursal begins in late April. You can pick up your Diploma Ceremony tickets in MR5 1041 between the hours of 9a-4p up until the Friday before graduation Sunday. Starting Friday at 12noon, arrange pick up with email@example.com (your tickets will NOT make their way to the Diploma Ceremony Location on Sunday. But you can get them off Kitter's front porch, which is convenient to Old Cabell and South Garage).
- Do you have fewer guests? Consider surrendering your unused tickets. BME will help to distribute these. Alternately, you can share your unsused ticket(s) with BMEs who need more tickets.
- Unticketed guests: Regardless of how it shakes out, once all ticketed guests are seated, if there is extra space, then guests without tickets will be welcome to enter. If we land at Old Cabell Hall in the end, note that there is no "standing room" in Old Cabell Hall. Once the seating capacity is reached, the doors are closed (fire code).
RECEPTION (if we stick with Old Cabell Hall at 11:30 a.m.)
- Light lunch provided by Mona Lisa Pasta
- Location is South Commons (adjacent to Nau/Gibson Halls) (Map)
- The accustomed route from Old Cabell to South Commons has stairs. This ADA Map shows the accessibility routes. Following the Diploma Ceremony, there will be escorts posted at the Old Cabell elevators to assist travel to South Commons.
- Here is official Parking Info from the Office of Major Events.
- Here is additional helpful parking info for the BME crowd: The Student Wellness Center Garage and the UVA Health South Garage are both open on May 21 (Map). These are convenient to the Lawn, Old Cabell, and South Commons. The downside is that there is no Shuttle Service on our sides of grounds! You must be prepared to walk .25 miles (Wellness Garage) or a little more (South Garage) UP to the Lawn, and back again. Thus this option, though extremely convenient, is best for guests without mobility impairment, because there is zero suporting infrastructure.
- Kitter can secure parking passes at Old Cabell for disabled and/or mobility-impaired family members. These are available on a first-come first-served basis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 434 982-4100 well ahead of time. Kitter MUST correspond with the organizing parent or the family member who is doing the driving and parking. Why? Because in the past, when I have released these passes to students, the instructions about timing and location are not passed on in a timely fashion, and these valuable passes end up going unused.
- Submit your honors and awards to: (coming soon)
- Where-to-be-When: Read "Dr. Guilford's simplified instructions for graduation" (also to arrive in your inbox in May)
- Undergraduate students: If your name is likely to challenge Dr. Allen, then please practice with him or email him an audio file or phonetic spelling: email@example.com
- Graduate students: If your name is likely to challenge Dr. Griffin, then please practice with him or email him an audio file or phonetic spelling: firstname.lastname@example.org
CAPS AND GOWNS
- Caps and Gowns: click here
- PhD Hoods: The School of Engineering provides graduating PhDs with their hoods. Your PhD mentor "hoods" you as part of the diploma ceremony. MS and ME students do not receive hoods.
THIRD YEAR VOLUNTEERS
- Annual training meeting is during exam week. We will do a dry run of the ceremony and reception from the perpective of an usher.
- Kitter has event badge and wristbands for volunteers. If you are unable to attend the the Annual Training, email Kitter@virginia.edu to arrange pick up.
- If we land at Old Cabell, plan to arrive the Old Cabell Auditorium by 10:00am on Sunday. Enter Old Cabell Hall from New Cabell Hall at the side entrance off the C-1 parking lot. You will need your event badge and wristband in order to enter Cabell Hall while the Lawn Ceremony is still taking place.
- Thank you, we couldn't do it without you!
- Faculty regalia is available for pick up in the BME Office starting (TBD). After 12p on May 19, email Kitter@virginia.edu to arrange pick up from her front porch, which is convenient Old Cabell Hall and South Garage. Regalia will NOT be carried to Old Cabell Hall on Sunday. Return regalia promptly to Kitter's porch or the BME Main Office (MR5 2010) just after graduation.
- People with specific roles in the ceremony are: MC (Dr. Guilford), Chair (Dr. Peirce-Cottler), Diploma Assistant (Dr. S. Barker), Marshall (Dr. Kelly), Graduate Name Reader (Dr. Griffin), Undergraduate Name Reader (Timothy Allen)
- If we land at Old Cabell, plan to meet in basement of Old Cabell after the Lawn Ceremony, no later than 10:15a.
- If you need to enter Old Cabell Hall before the Lawn ceremony ends, you must get an event staff badge and wristband from Kitter ahead of time.
- Metal detectors and clear bag policy.
- Faculty who are attending the Lawn Ceremony and Diploma Ceremony: No special instructions.
- Family members who are attending only the diploma ceremony and want to enter Old Cabell before the Lawn Ceremony ends: Get an Event Badge from Kitter.