LOCATION AND WEATHER CONTINGENCIES
- Fair-Weather Location UNDERGRADUATE: Old Cabell Hall, Auditorium (11:30 a.m.), Map
- Fair-Weather Location GRADUATE: Nau Hall, Auditorium (12:45 p.m.), Map
- Inclement-Weather Location UNDERGRADUATE: Same | Severe-Weather Location: Same
- Inclement-Weather Location GRADUATE: Same | Severe-Weather Location: Same
- BME Department Contact: Kitter Bishop (434) 245-0494, firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHEDULE May 21, 2023
- 9:00a Lawn Ceremony
- 11:30a BME Diploma Ceremony Old Cabell Hall (Map)
- 12:30p BME Reception at South Commons at Nau Hall (Map)
- 9:00a Lawn Ceremony
- 11:00a BME Reception at South Commons at Nau Hall (Map)
- 12:45p GRADUATE Diploma Ceremony Nau Hall Auditorium (Map)
- Lawn Ceremony tickets: click here
- Update 02/16/2023: In order to make if feasible for each student to receive 6 Tickets to the their Diploma Ceremony, we've decided to host TWO diploma ceremonies this year! The Undergraduate ceremony is at Old Cabell Hall at 11:30a. The graduate ceremony is in the Nau Hall Auditorium at 12:45p.
- Diploma Ceremony tickets disbursal begins in late April. You can pick up your Diploma Ceremony tickets in MR5 1041 between the hours of 9a-4p up until the Friday before graduation Sunday. Starting Friday at 12noon, arrange pick up with email@example.com. Your tickets will NOT make their way to the Diploma Ceremony on Sunday. But you can get them off Kitter's front porch, which is convenient to Old Cabell and South Garage.
- Unticketed guests: If there is extra space, then guests without tickets will be welcome to enter. Now that we're splitting in two ceremonies (Undergraduate 11:30a at Old Cabell Hall | Graduate 12:45p at Nau Hall), we anticipate that there will be extra seats for unticketed guests.
FOOD AND DRINK
- Light lunch provided by Mona Lisa Pasta from 11:00a-2:00p at South Commons at Nau Hall (Map).
- Snacks and drinks provided for undergraduates in the basement of Old Cabell Hall after the Lawn Ceremony.
- Here is official Parking Info from the Office of Major Events.
- BME PARKING: The Student Wellness Center Garage and the UVA Health South Garage are both open on May 21 (Map). These are convenient to the Lawn, Old Cabell, and South Commons at Nau Hall. The downside is that there is no Shuttle Service. You must be prepared to walk .25 miles (Wellness Garage) or a little more (South Garage) UP to the Lawn, and back again. Thus this option, though very convenient, is best for guests without mobility impairment, because there is zero supporting infrastructure.
- Kitter can secure parking passes at Old Cabell for disabled and/or mobility-impaired family members. These are available on a first-come first-served basis. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 434 982-4100 well ahead of time. Kitter MUST correspond with the organizing parent or the family member who is doing the driving and parking. Why? Because in the past, the instructions about timing and location are not passed on by students to family members in a timely fashion, and these valuable passes end up going unused.
- The accustomed route from the Lawn and Old Cabell to South Commons at Nau Hall has stairs. This ADA Map shows the accessibility routes. Following the Undergraduate Diploma Ceremony, there will be escorts posted at the Old Cabell elevators to assist travel.
- Submit your honors and awards to: (coming soon)
- Where-to-be-When: Read "Dr. Guilford's simplified instructions for graduation" (to arrive in your inbox in May)
- Undergraduate students: If your name is likely to challenge Dr. Allen, then please practice with him or email him an audio file or phonetic spelling: email@example.com
- Graduate students: If your name is likely to challenge Dr. Griffin (TBD), then please practice with him or email him an audio file or phonetic spelling: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preferred Names: Students are able to change their preferred name on transcripts and diplomas by emailing email@example.com as per Frequently Asked Questions for Transgender, Non-Binary, and Gender Nonconforming Students | Office For Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights, U.Va. (virginia.edu).
CAPS AND GOWNS
- Caps and Gowns: click here
- PhD Hoods: The School of Engineering provides graduating PhDs with their hoods. Your PhD mentor "hoods" you as part of the diploma ceremony. MS and ME students do not receive hoods.
THIRD YEAR VOLUNTEERS
- Annual training meeting is during exam week. We will do a dry run of the ceremony and reception from the perpective of an usher.
- Kitter has event badge and wristbands for volunteers. If you are unable to attend the the Annual Training, email Kitter@virginia.edu to arrange pick up.
- Plan to arrive the Old Cabell Auditorium by 10:00am on Sunday. Enter Old Cabell Hall from New Cabell Hall at the side entrance off the C-1 parking lot. You will need your event badge and wristband in order to enter Cabell Hall while the Lawn Ceremony is still taking place.
- Thank you, we couldn't do it without you!
FACULTY SCHEDULE AND REGALIA
- Faculty regalia is available for pick up in the BME Office starting (TBD). After 12p on May 19, email Kitter@virginia.edu to arrange pick up from her front porch, which is convenient Old Cabell Hall and South Garage. Regalia will NOT be carried to Old Cabell Hall or Nau Hall on Sunday. Return regalia promptly to Kitter's porch or the BME Main Office (MR5 2010) just after graduation.
- Faculty attending the Undergraduate Diploma Ceremony at Old Cabell Hall: Meet in the basement of Old Cabell Hall at 11:15a.
- Faculty attending the Graduate Diploma Ceremony at Nau Hall Auditorium: Meet in a place TBD at Nau Hall at 12:40p.
- Metal detectors and clear bag policy.
- Faculty who are attending the Lawn Ceremony and Diploma Ceremony: No special instructions.
- If you need to enter Old Cabell Hall before the Lawn ceremony ends, you must get an event staff badge and wristband from Kitter ahead of time.