Policies and Procedures
International programs and opportunities for engineering students at the University of Virginia present a picture of evolution. New programs are being created by Engineering School faculty and new ideas for partnerships with institutions abroad emerge perennially. Ideas and initiative for new opportunities come not only from faculty, but often from students. This manual is an attempt to provide students who wish to go abroad as part of their engineering education with some guidance in identifying the right program, in navigating the process of application and securing approval to transfer credit for courses taken abroad. Eligibility requirements for study abroad, and related policy information are included. The EIP manual is also intended to serve faculty who advise students concerning education abroad, as well as faculty interested in developing new international programs.
- Verify your eligibility to study abroad
- Create a profile on the Education Abroad website
- Assess your academic and personal needs. What are your goals for studying abroad?
- Explore the different programs tailored to engineering students and research programs that align with your goals
- Discuss plans with your major and regional advisors
- Confirm your university and departmental requirements, and learn how to integrate the credits you will earn abroad
- Connect with a student that has gone abroad! Contact our office if you need help finding someone
- Consider how you will fund your study abroad experience
- Identify application deadlines for program(s) and scholarships
- Apply early!
- If applicable, make sure to secure transfer credit approval early
- Apply for or renew your passport (if your current passport expires less than 6 months after your return). Do you need a visa?
- International students - meet with an International Student Advisor. Do you need a visa for your intended host country?
- Investigate health and emergency insurance requirements
- Talk to your doctor about managing any pre-existing conditions (including prescription medications) while abroad. If you require special accommodations, please disclose early!