Link Lab Weekly 2022
A weekly digest of updates from the UVA Link Lab in 2022.
Other years: 2023
December 19, 2022
- Haiying Shen – Named a Distinguished Member of the Association for Computing Machinery
- Brad Campbell - $270k from SRC - Proposal Title: Safe and Secure Operating Systems for Root-of-Trust Silicon
- Matthew L. Bolton - Ergonomics in Design Paper Title: Trust is Not a Virtue: Why We Should Not Trust Trust
- Matthew L. Bolton - IEEE Technology and Society Magazine Paper Title: Humanistic Engineering: Engineering for the People
December 12, 2022
- Nabeel Nasir - Awarded the UVA Engineering Teaching Fellowship for Spring 2023. Will be co-teaching Wireless for Internet of Things (CS 4501) with Prof. Brad Campbell.
- Nurani Saoda – Awarded the Link Lab Student Seminar Award and presented her research on "Broadening the Capabilities of Self-Powered Energy-Harvesting Systems".
- Mircea Stan – Keynote Speaker - NILES 2022 conference in Cairo, Egypt
- Hongyu Miao and Felix Lin – Best Paper Award – Conference: 7th ACM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing Paper Title: "Towards Out-of-core Neural Networks on Microcontrollers"
December 5, 2022
- Jack Stankovic - Keynote Speaker at CPS/IOT Week
- Jack Stankovic - Keynote Speaker at IEEE RTSS 2022
- Jack Stankovic - Keynote Speaker at World Organization for Science Literacy
In the News
November 28, 2022
- Mehrdad Shafiei Dizaji - Journal: Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing Journal Paper Title: A hybrid-attention-ConvLSTM-
based deep learning architecture to extract modal frequencies from limited data using transfer learning
November 21, 2022
- Md Fazlay Rabbi Masum Billah, Nurani Saoda, Victor Ariel Leal Sobral, Tushar Routh, Wenpeng Wang, Bradford Campbell. Conference: The 9th ACM International Conference on Systems for Energy-Efficient Built Environments (BuildSys 2022) Paper Title: SolarWalk: Smart Home Occupant Identification using Unobtrusive Indoor Photovoltaic Harvesters
- Md Fazlay Rabbi Masum Billah, Md Mofijul Islam, Nurani Saoda, Tariq Iqbal, Bradford Campbell. Conference: The 20th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2022) Poster Abstract: Fusing Computer Vision and Wireless Signal for Accurate Sensor Localization in AR View
- Nurani Saoda, Md Fazlay Rabbi Masum Billah, Victor Ariel Leal Sobral, Bradford Campbel. Conference: Fifth International SenSys+BuildSys Workshop on Data: Acquisition to Analysis (DATA’22) Paper Title: SolarWalk Dataset: Occupant Identification using Indoor Photovoltaic Harvester Output Voltage
- Sumanth Kamineni, Arvind Sharma, Ramesh Harjani, Sachin S. Sapatnekar, Benton H. Calhoun. Conference: Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference (DATE), 2023 Paper Title: AuxcellGen: A Framework for Autonomous Generation of Analog and Memory Unit Cells.
November 7, 2022
- Alec Menzer, Faysal Hossain Shezan, Gigi Pavur, Md Fazlay Rabbi Masum Billah, Md Mofijul Islam, Sirat Samyoun, Tushar Routh – were awarded the UVA Engineering Endowed Graduate Fellowship.
- Ben Calhoun – was awarded the Thornton Society Invention of the Year Award for his patented ultra-low power sensing platform.
- Tomo Furukawa – has been named UVA Engineering’s new director of experiential learning.
October 31, 2022
In the News
- Barry Johnson - Barry Johnson Pursues Passion for Technology Innovation in New National Science Foundation Directorate
- Jack Stankovic was invited to present the Plenary Speech at the Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS) this coming December.
October 24, 2022
- Wenqiang (Winston) Chen, Jack Stankovic – won the Best Paper Award from ACM Mobicom S3 Workshop 2022
October 17, 2022
In the News
- Mircea Stan – Degree Program’s Interdisciplinary Research Presents Exciting Opportunities for Faculty and Students
October 10, 2022
- Liwei Guo – Date: 9/17 Thesis Title: Operating and runtime systems towards an efficient and secure edge Advisor: Felix Lin
- Jack Stankovic – has been elected as a new member of Virginia Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine
October 3, 2022
- Devin Harris – congratulations to Devin who has been named as Chair of the Department of Engineering Systems and Environment (ESE)!
- Mircea Stan – congratulations to Mircea who has been named as the new director of Computer Engineering (CpE)!
In the News
- Donna Chen - How Henrico's roads can keep cyclists safer
- Eric Loth - Renowned Academic Group Creates Roadmap for Attaining Wind Energy-Driven Decarbonization Goals Using Community Voice
- Jon Goodall - $5 Million NSF Grant Will Create Coastal Futures Hub to Engage Urban Communities in Combating Climate Change
August 26, 2022
- Lucy Fitzgerald, Luis Lopez Ruiz, Joe Zhu, John Lach, Daniel Quinn Conference/Publication: Royal Society Open Science Paper Title: Towards breath sensors that are self-powered by design
- Nabeel Nasir, Victor Ariel Leal Sobral, Li-Pang Huang, Bradford Campbell Conference/Publication: The Seventh ACM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC ’22) Paper Title: NexusEdge: Leveraging IoT Gateways for a Decentralized Edge Computing Platform
August 19, 2022
- Shannon Devlin, Jawad Alami, Sara Riggs Conference/Publication: Applied Ergonomics Paper Title: Workload transition rate matters: Evidence from growth curve modeling
- Victor Ariel Leal Sobral, Nurani Saoda, Ruchir Shah, Wenpeng Wang, Bradford Campbell Conference/Publication: The 28th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom '22) Paper Title: RetroIoT: Retrofitting Internet of Things Deployments by Hiding Data in Battery Readings
- Jack Stankovic - Invited Keynote Speaker, NSF CPS PI meeting on November 8, 2022.
August 12, 2022
- Jon Goodall was awarded $5M from the National Science Foundation (NSF) for Focused CoPe: Enhancing Resilience and Equity in Urban Coastal Communities through the Co-Generation of Community Capitals.
- Authors: Xiangdong Wei (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China); Mohamed El-Hadedy (California State Polytechnic University Pomona, USA & University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA); Sergiu Mosanu (University of Virginia, USA); Zhengping Zhu (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China); Wen-Mei Hwu (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA); Xinfei Guo (Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China). Conference: 2022 IEEE 35th International System-on-Chip Conference (SOCC) https://www.ieee-socc.org/.
- Paper Title: RECO-HCON: A High-Throughput Reconfigurable Compact ASCON Processor for Trusted IoT AND, they won the best paper award! (details)
August 5, 2022
- Jack Stankovic, Jack Davidson, Maïté Brandt-Pearce, Cong Shen, Yixin Sun –National Science Foundation Research Traineeship (NRT) supplement of $457,711 was awarded to develop a training program to support the pipeline of trained professionals in the area of secure and effective emergency communications.
- Seongkook Heo was awarded $30,000 from CCI-CVN for his proposal: Vision-based Passive Micro-movement Sensing System for Telehealth
- Nicola Bezzo: Henry Kinnier Award (Mead Endowment)
- Nicola Bezzo: $50k from the NSF for his proposal: Risk-aware Detection, Prediction, and Mitigation in CPS under Cyber-Attack
- Nicola Bezzo: $50k from the NSF for his proposal: Reverse Engineering Methodology for FPGAs and Cyber-Physical Systems
- Nicola Bezzo: $100k from CCI for his proposal: Voice Control and Motion Planning of Smart UAVs for Public Safety
- Nicola Bezzo: $100k from Amazon: Amazon Research Award: Towards Safe and Agile Robot Navigation in Occluding and Dynamic Environments
- E. Bini, A. Papadopoulos, J. Higgins, N. Bezzo - IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC) - Optimal Reference Tracking for Sampled-Data Control Systems
- J. Higgins, E. Bini, N. Bezzo - IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA) - Offloaded Receding Horizon Planning for Environments with Variable Communication Delays
- Lauren Bramblett, Rahul Peddi, Nicola Bezzo - 2022 IEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2022) - Coordinated Multi-Agent Exploration & Exploitation of Unknown Environments with Limited Connectivity
- Matthew Cleaveland, Esen Yel, Yiannis Kantaros, Insup Lee, Nicola Bezzo - 2022 IEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2022) - Learning Enabled Fast Planning and Control in Dynamic Environments with Intermittent Information
- Nicholas Mohammad, Nicola Bezzo - 2022 IEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2022) - A Robust and Fast Occlusion-based Frontier Method for Autonomous Navigation in Unknown Cluttered Environments
- Paul Bonczek, Nicola Bezzo - 2022 IEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2022) - Resilient Detection and Recovery of Autonomous Systems Operating under on-board Controller Cyber Attacks
- Shannon Devlin, Jawad Alami, Sara Riggs - Applied Ergonomics - Scan-based eye tracking measures are predictive of workload transition performance
- Shijie Gao, Esen Yel, Nicola Bezzo - Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L) / International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) - Meta-Learning-based Proactive Online Planning for UAVs under Degraded Conditions