Deadline Extended to March 19 at 11:59 PM
Engineering Undergraduate and Graduate students,
The Provost has decided to extend the date to withdraw from a class (with a grade of W) to Thursday, March 19th at 11:59 pm.
If you have any questions about withdrawing from a class, undergraduate students should contact Will Gilford firstname.lastname@example.org and graduate students should contact Amy Clobes email@example.com. In Engineering you must also get approval from your advisor to withdraw from a course. Be aware that not all schools and programs allow withdrawal from a class at this point in the semester. For more details, visit https://www2.virginia.edu/registrar/reginst1202.html#Deadlines
International students should confer with ISO before withdrawing from a course. Students receiving financial aid, including but not limited to wage employment, graduate assistantships, and fellowships should confer with Jesse Rogers firstname.lastname@example.org and graduate students should confer with Joan Wicks email@example.com before withdrawing from a course.
How to request withdrawal from a course in these unusual circumstances
Undergraduate students: To request a withdrawal from a class,
- Discuss your decision with your academic advisor and come to an agreement before completing any of the remaining steps.
- Once you have an agreement that withdrawing from a class is in your best interest, send your advisor an email requesting to withdraw. Be sure to specify the course name and number, and the reason for your request.
- Your advisor should then reply to your email AND copy firstname.lastname@example.org (the Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Education) with their agreement. These must be received no later than 11:59 pm on Thursday, March 19.
- The Assistant Dean will make a final decision and reply to you both, along with the undergraduate registrar.
Graduate students: To request a withdrawal from a class,
- Please complete a Course Action form signed by the instructor of the class and your advisor and send it to our Graduate Registrar’s Office VIA EMAIL (email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If obtaining signatures in person is not possible, please forward the Course Action form (or it’s information) in an email with the email text from the instructor and advisor approving the late drop/grade of W to the Graduate Registrar’s Office emails noted above.
- Do NOT submit the paper forms to their office (A108 Thornton Hall) in the event they are working from home.
- Emailed requests MUST be received by 11:59pm on Thursday, March 19, 2020.
Will Guilford, Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Education
Amy Clobes, Director of Graduate Programs