MSE Minor

The purpose of the MSE minor is to provide students a foundation for understanding how the processing, properties and structure of materials affects the science, design, and application of materials in the engineering discipline of their major field of study.


A minimum of five MSE courses constitutes an MSE minor.
  • 1. You must take both of these courses:
MSE 2090 - Introduction to the Science and Engineering of Materials Credits: 3
MSE 3050 - Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Materials Credits: 3
  • 2. You must select at least one of the following two courses:
MSE 3670 - Materials for Electronic, Magnetic and Optical Applications Credits: 3
MSE 3060 - Structures and Defects of Materials Credits: 3
  • 3. You must select at least two courses from the following list - OR - select one from this list and a second course from #3 above to complete a five course minor:
MSE 3610 - Aerospace Materials Credits: 3 **cross listed as MAE 3610**
CHE 4449 - Polymer Chemistry and Engineering Credits: 3
MSE 3080 - Corrosion, Batteries and Fuel Cells Credits: 3
MSE 3101 - Materials Science Investigations Credits: 3
MSE 4210 - Materials Processing Credits: 3
MSE 4320 - Origins of Mechanical Behavior Credits: 3
MSE 4055 - Nanoscale Science & Technology Credits: 3
MSE 4592 - Special Topics in Materials Science Credits: 3

For more information on the MSE minor, please contact our Undergraduate Coordinator.  The form to declare a minor can be found here under "academic forms."

For course descriptions and official requirements of the MSE Minor, please see the Undergraduate Record.


MSE is a research-intensive discipline. Undergraduate students are encouraged to become involved in research through i) an independent study research project, MSE 4960, ii) senior thesis projects, iii) and financially supported undergraduate research internships during the academic year or summer

For more information, please contact:  Prof. Jim Howe; MSE Minor Coordinator

The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only.  The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found at