UVA BME offiers:
A collaborative, translational model. Co-location in a medical center and engineering school. Internationally recognized imaging programs. A longstanding MRI research relationship with Siemens. Imaging across scales. Robust grant funding.
- Over 15 active grants from the National Institutes of Health, including a $14M multi-center grant on cardiac MRI.
- Four of our faculty are Fellows of ISMRM (Altes, Epstein, Meyer, Mugler).
- BME & Radiology faculty authored three of the 30 most influential papers in the first 30 years of the journal Magnetic Resonance in Medicine.
Trainee outcomes over the past decade:
The ISMRM Young Investigator Award
UVA has trained a total of nine winners or finalists for the “Young Investigator Award” of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (ISMRM)—five in the past decade alone:
- 2008: Winner (C. Wang, Radiology/BME)
- 2010: Finalist (M. Vandsburger, BME)
- 2011: Winner (I. Dregely, visiting student)
- 2013: Winner (K. Qing, BME)
- 2017: Winner (D. Auger, BME)
Early Career Award in Basic Science from the Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Medicine:
- 2017: Winner (S. Cui, BME)
Recent MRI Trainees who are now young faculty at other institutions:
- W. Chen ‘08 (Chinese U. Hong Kong)
- P. Hu ‘08 (UCLA)
- C. Sica ‘08 (Penn State Hershey)
- M. Vandsburger ‘10 (Berkeley)
- C. Wang ‘07 (Univ. Nottingham – Ningbo)