April 1, 2020
Here are some things to know about UVA's and UVA Engineering's novel coronavirus response.
- ICYMI: University Town Hall Coming Thursday, April 2 – President Ryan and his senior leadership team will conduct a virtual town hall Thursday, providing updates on the ongoing impact of the coronavirus on UVA and answering questions from town hall participants. All members of the University community are invited to participate. The Zoom webinar town hall is scheduled for Thursday, April 2, from 11 a.m. to noon, and those interested may register online. The town hall also will be livestreamed by the Miller Center of Public Affairs and on Virginia.edu.
- For UVA Engineering Faculty and Staff: Upcoming Zoom Chats with the Deans – Faculty and staff are invited to participate in chat sessions with the school deans. Another staff chat is scheduled for Tuesday, March 31, 11 a.m. to Noon. Faculty chats are Friday, April 3, 3-4 p.m., and Thursday, April 9, 10-11 a.m. Please e-mail Lisa Meadows if you would like to participate in one of the sessions.
- More Great News from the Biocomplexity Institute and Initiative – TechRepublic has published a great overview of a dashboard that Biocomplexity Institute researchers have created to help people understand the spread of the novel coronavirus and the current data. The institute is led by Christopher L. Barrett, executive director, Distinguished Professor in Biocomplexity and faculty member in UVA Engineering’s Department of Computer Science, and Madhav Marathe, a Distinguished Professor in Biocomplexity, faculty member in the Department of Computer Science, and director of the institute’s Network Systems Science and Advanced Computing Division.
- Student-led HooHacks Gets Media Attention for Innovation – Organizers of UVA Engineering’s annual hackathon attracted media attention for their effort to carry on virtually this year. #HoosResilient!
- Coming Tuesday, April 7: Virtual University of Virginia Engineering Research Symposium – UVERS, organized by the Graduate Engineering Student Council, is coming up. Details, including an updated schedule, can be found here.
- Resources for Faculty and Staff – The following resources are available to our hard-working faculty and staff:
- The Center for Teaching Excellence continues to offer virtual, one-on-one support sessions and webinars to help faculty with online instruction. Visit this page to get more information.
- The UVA Faculty and Employee Assistance Program is presenting a seminar sponsored by Hoos Well and eligible for a reward through the Hoos Well portal: Communicating Effectively During Difficult Conversations, Monica Maughlin, MEd, LPC, CEAP - Learn how to prepare yourself for challenging conversations and how to repair with others when things go awry. Want to learn helpful strategies that will allow you to recognize what is happening within you and between yourself and others in challenging interactions? In this interactive session, participants will increase their knowledge and understanding of how to lay the groundwork for productive and successful interactions with others, and strategies for engaging in and maintaining productive dialogue. Learn more and register. Questions?
Option 1: Live Webinar (via Zoom)
Thursday, April 2, 12 noon – 1:00 p.m.
Option 2: Live Webinar (via Zoom)
Tuesday, April 21, 3:30 – 4:30 PM
- #WeAreUVAEngineering – Don’t forget we’re looking for positive-news stories via this online form. You can upload photos or short (20 seconds or less) videos. We’ll share your stories on our social media channels (#WeAreUVAEngineering) and in our novel coronavirus news blog.
Where to Find and Keep Track of News and Information – UVA Engineering’s novel coronavirus web page archives our school mass e-mail communications related to COVID-19 and includes links to the University’s sites. You can find this page from the Engineering School’s homepage at engineering.virginia.edu. We’ve also got a new blog with updates, news and tips: https://engineering.virginia.edu/uva-engineering-novel-coronavirus-news-digest.