April 2, 2020
Here are some things to know about UVA's and UVA Engineering's novel coronavirus response.
- From Our Novel Coronavirus News Blog – “How to Disinfect Everything;” “#WeAreUVAEngineering – the Baby Chicks are Unperturbed;” “#WeAreUVAEngineering – a Shout-Out in President Ryan’s Video.”
- Watch Out for “Zoom-bombing” – There have been incidents reported at UVA – and many more elsewhere – of Zoom-bombing, in which uninvited people join Zoom meetings and in some cases share offensive content without meeting organizers’ or participants’ permission. UVA ITS has posted Zoom security recommendations on its website, and UC Berkeley has additional information here. The UVA Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights encourages any faculty, students or staff members who have experienced such activity, or any other activities that may involve the University’s non-discrimination or harassment policies, to report the problems through Just Report It.
- More Information about Community Care during COVID-19 – The UVA Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights has translated its community care statement into Chinese, Korean and Spanish. Those versions are now linked on the EOCR website. The statement reads, in part: “At the University of Virginia, we affirm the values of belonging, respect, access, and community care. We stand against xenophobia, ableism, and all forms of discrimination and injustice.” EOCR also is sharing several resources that speak to centering equity, inclusion and community care in our collective response and future recovery efforts:
- AAC&U Free Webinar Series (March 27 – June 16): Quality, Equity, and Inclusion during the COVID Crisis
- National Inclusive Excellence Leadership Academy: COVID-19 DEI Strategy Center
- Racial Equity Tools: COVID-19 – Racial Equity and Social Justice Resources
- For Faculty and Staff: a Webinar about Mental Health – UVA psychology professor Bethany Teachman, Ph.D., will offer a webinar entitled “Managing Mental Health During COVID-19” on Monday, April 6, from noon to 1 p.m. The description is, “In the past weeks, many of us have seen our lives turned upside down. We have had to vacate our labs and our offices, learn to teach online, and otherwise isolate ourselves from the various communities that enrich our lives. Many of us have also had to deal with a host of new worries and new responsibilities, such as how to educate our school-age children in our own homes while also getting other work done, or figuring out who might be able to bring groceries to an elderly parent. How do you take care of your mental health during this difficult time?” Teachman will give a short presentation on managing anxiety and stress during COVID-19, followed by a Q&A. The session is scheduled to last for 60 minutes. If your time is limited, she suggests joining for the first 30 minutes. Register here.
- Reminder for UVA Engineering Faculty and Staff about Zoom Chats with the Deans – Faculty and staff are invited to participate in chat sessions with the school deans. Another staff chat is scheduled for Wednesday, April 8, 1-2 p.m. Faculty chats are Friday, April 3, 3-4 p.m., and Thursday, April 9, 10-11 a.m. Please e-mail Lisa Meadows if you would like to participate in one of the sessions.
- #WeAreUVAEngineering – Don’t forget we’re looking for positive-news stories via this online form. You can upload photos or short (20 seconds or less) videos. We’ll share your stories on our social media channels (#WeAreUVAEngineering) and in our novel coronavirus news blog.
Where to Find and Keep Track of News and Information – UVA Engineering’s novel coronavirus web page archives our school mass e-mail communications related to COVID-19 and includes links to the University’s sites. You can find this page from the Engineering School’s homepage at engineering.virginia.edu. We’ve also got a new blog with updates, news and tips: https://engineering.virginia.edu/uva-engineering-novel-coronavirus-news-digest.