April 20, 2020
Here are some things to know about UVA's and UVA Engineering's novel coronavirus response.
- Colloquium This Week – On Thursday, April 23, at noon, the Department of Engineering and Society’s science, technology and society faculty will host “The Pandemic is a Portal: Imagining Possible Futures in the Era of the 2019 Coronavirus.” Panelists include Michael Gorman, professor and director of the science, technology and society program; Caitlin Wylie, assistant professor of science, technology and society; Bevin Etienne, assistant professor in the McIntire School of Commerce and the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy; and Christian McMillen, associate dean for the sciences and professor of history in the College of Arts & Sciences. The panel will be moderated by Tolu Odumosu, assistant professor of science, technology and society and electrical engineering. Join by Zoom.
- Tools for Calm in a Time of Crisis – With the world focused on the health threat of coronavirus, anxiety is also a significant concern. UVA faculty including Laura Barnes, associate professor in the Department of Engineering Systems and Environment, and Hongning Wang, assistant professor of computer science, are offering The MindTrails Project, funded in part by the National Institute of Mental Health. The project is a public, web-based set of tools including “free interpretation bias training programs to promote healthier thinking patterns for people with anxiety and other emotional difficulties. Research shows that people prone to anxiety tend to think about situations negatively. MindTrails programs give you practice thinking about situations in new ways. This encourages more flexible thinking styles in your everyday life.” The site was featured today on the local NPR affiliate, WVTF. Participation is free and confidential.
- Reminder of UVA Career Services’ Upcoming Parent Town Hall – On Thursday, April 23, from 7-8 p.m., UVA Career Services will host a parent town hall entitled ”Jobs, Internships, and Graduate Schools: Strategies for UVA Parents and Students during COVID-19.” The meeting is designed to help parents and their students understand the current employment and graduate school markets and what UVA is doing to help. The format will include a short presentation on the environment created by COVID-19, ways in which UVA career-service professionals can help, and resilience strategies for these uncertain times. A Q&A session will follow. To register and receive webinar connection instructions, click here: https://virginia.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_y-FGOUl3TrqDoTFSk8xh5A.
- Reminder to Faculty and Staff: Please Forward Your Desk Phones to Your Current Number – During the remote-work environment, people are still trying to reach the School of Engineering. Here is a helpful guide for forwarding your desk phone to a cell or home or other number. Thanks to David Thomas of the Department of Engineering Systems and Environment for putting the helpful guide together.
- #WeAreUVAEngineering – Don’t forget we’re looking for positive-news stories via this online form. You can upload photos or short (20 seconds or less) videos. We’ll share your stories on our social media channels (#WeAreUVAEngineering) and in our novel coronavirus news blog.
Where to Find and Keep Track of News and Information – UVA Engineering’s novel coronavirus web page archives our school mass e-mail communications related to COVID-19 and includes links to the University’s sites. You can find this page from the Engineering School’s homepage at engineering.virginia.edu. We’ve also got a new blog with updates, news and tips: https://engineering.virginia.edu/uva-engineering-novel-coronavirus-news-digest.