April 23, 2020
Here are some things to know about UVA's and UVA Engineering's novel coronavirus response.
- Reminder of Moment of Silence Today – Earlier this week, Dean Benson shared the very sad news that Mr. Jesse J. Johnson, Sr., a valued member of our UVA Engineering community, passed away April 14 at UVA Health after contracting the novel coronavirus. Mr. Johnson retired from the University of Virginia in May 2019 after serving a number of years as custodian in the Thornton Hall D-wing. Mr. Johnson was also a local pastor. Students, faculty and staff who knew Mr. Johnson said he was always happy and caring, and talked often about his wife and children. The School will hold an online moment of silence in remembrance of Mr. Johnson today, Thursday, April 23, at 5 PM. Students, faculty and staff are invited to join the moment of silence via Zoom.
- Nominate Students, Faculty and Staff for Excellent Contributions – The Society of P.R.I. requests assistance for its annual initiative to recognize UVA Engineering faculty, staff and graduating students who have made exceptional contributions to the University. During this difficult time, acts of selflessness and service may not be publicly visible to others due to distance. For this reason, the Society of P.R.I. believes it is more important than ever to commend the good deeds done daily on behalf of our community. If you would like to nominate an individual from UVA Engineering who has made a positive impact on UVA, please fill out the forms at the following links by Tuesday, April 28, at 11:51 p.m.
Link to nomination form for graduating UVA Engineering students: https://forms.gle/BowG9G5bQji4Nt9o8
Link to nomination form for outstanding UVA Engineering faculty and staff: https://forms.gle/W7Ymrxu5zFNSArpQ9
- Reminder for Students Regarding Grading Options for Spring 2020 – New grading options were implemented for undergraduate students and graduate students this spring (credit/general credit/no credit) in addition to the standard grading option (A through F). Students may make grading basis changes in the UVA Student Information System starting at 8:00 a.m. EDT, Friday, April 24, 2020, until Tuesday, April 28, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. The UVA Student Information System team has provided these steps for students to make changes to the grading option for any class.
- Pause in Fall 2020 Enrollment – To implement the Spring 2020 default grading option and give students the opportunity to select which options they prefer for each of their classes, the UVA Student Information Systems team must temporarily stop enrollment for Fall 2020 classes. Fall 2020 enrollment will be temporarily suspended at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, April 23, 2020, and will resume at 8:00 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, April 29, 2020.
- Health Resources for Students – The team at Student Health & Wellness is providing a number of important health and well-being resources for students during the COVID-19 response. Many resources are available on this Student Health website. As part of these resources, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is available to all UVA students for consultation, referral assistance, and crisis support. CAPS is also providing a range of telemental health appointments for new and existing patients located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. If you are located outside of Virginia, a staff member will help determine if you can be served by CAPS or will connect you with someone in your local area. CAPS is available 24/7. Call 434-243-5150. SilverCloud is another immediate, online, confidential mental health resource available for free to UVA students. The platform provides tools and guidance to help address stress, anxiety, depression, resilience, and sleep.
- Reminder of UVA Career Services’ Parent Town Hall Tonight – On Thursday, April 23, from 7-8 p.m., UVA Career Services will host a parent town hall entitled ”Jobs, Internships, and Graduate Schools: Strategies for UVA Parents and Students during COVID-19.” The meeting is designed to help parents and their students understand the current employment and graduate school markets and what UVA is doing to help. The format will include a short presentation on the environment created by COVID-19, ways in which UVA career-service professionals can help, and resilience strategies for these uncertain times. A Q&A session will follow. To register and receive webinar connection instructions, click here: https://virginia.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_y-FGOUl3TrqDoTFSk8xh5A.
- #WeAreUVAEngineering – Don’t forget we’re looking for positive-news stories via this online form. You can upload photos or short (20 seconds or less) videos. We’ll share your stories on our social media channels (#WeAreUVAEngineering) and in our novel coronavirus news blog.
Where to Find and Keep Track of News and Information – UVA Engineering’s novel coronavirus web page archives our school mass e-mail communications related to COVID-19 and includes links to the University’s sites. You can find this page from the Engineering School’s homepage at engineering.virginia.edu. We’ve also got a new blog with updates, news and tips: https://engineering.virginia.edu/uva-engineering-novel-coronavirus-news-digest.