April 7, 2020
Here are some things to know about UVA's and UVA Engineering's novel coronavirus response.
- For Undergraduate Students: Coming April 8, Help with Course Selection for Fall 2020 – Feeling confused about which classes to sign up for next semester? The Society of Women Engineers will hold Zoom sessions with third and fourth years from each major. Feel free to drop in any time during the hour to ask any questions. The event is open to everyone (not limited to women). Contact Megan Mazzatenta (mtm2fa) with any requests or concerns. The sessions will be April 8, noon to 1 p.m. On that date and time, click on the following link for your major to join the meeting; hosts will open the rooms at noon:
- New Academic Success Programs for Undergraduate Students – The Office of Undergraduate Programs is happy to announce two new academic success programs for students:
- Virtual Group Study Sessions (Zoom) - These sessions offer our usual free tutoring in a group setting. Think of them as a virtual study hour with a tutor available to answer your questions. This is a collaborative learning environment; we encourage you to remain in the session even after your questions are answered to continue to learn from and support your peers. Don’t have a question for the tutor? No problem. We encourage students to join the Zoom session to learn and study with others. Sessions are offered by subject. Visit this Google Doc for a complete list of courses. No advance scheduling is required. You may also join by phone.
- Engineering Study Network - Need a study buddy? Looking to start a study group or add people to your current group? Complete the Engineering Study Network Google Form and our team will match you with fellow Engineering students. This is a rolling form, so you may complete it at any time during the semester.
- Extension of Time Limitation for M.S. and Ph.D. Degrees – Grad students and faculty have been informed of a one-year extension of the time limit for the requirements for M.S. and Ph.D. degrees. The announcement can be found here.
- Another Important Note about “Zoom-bombing” – There have been incidents reported at UVA – and many more elsewhere – of Zoom-bombing, in which uninvited people join Zoom meetings and in some cases share offensive content without meeting organizers’ or participants’ permission. Our IT experts warn that it is also possible for hackers to post links in the Zoom chat windows; the links, when clicked, could then be used to hack participants’ computers. Please be careful about links in chats. As a reminder, UVA ITS has posted Zoom security recommendations on its website, and UC Berkeley has additional information here.
- Reminder for UVA Engineering Faculty and Staff about Zoom Chats with the Deans – Faculty and staff are invited to participate in chat sessions with the school deans. Another staff chat is scheduled for Wednesday, April 8, 1-2 p.m. Another faculty chat is Thursday, April 9, 10-11 a.m. Please e-mail Lisa Meadows if you would like to participate in one of the sessions.
- #WeAreUVAEngineering – Don’t forget we’re looking for positive-news stories via this online form. You can upload photos or short (20 seconds or less) videos. We’ll share your stories on our social media channels (#WeAreUVAEngineering) and in our novel coronavirus news blog.
Where to Find and Keep Track of News and Information – UVA Engineering’s novel coronavirus web page archives our school mass e-mail communications related to COVID-19 and includes links to the University’s sites. You can find this page from the Engineering School’s homepage at engineering.virginia.edu. We’ve also got a new blog with updates, news and tips: https://engineering.virginia.edu/uva-engineering-novel-coronavirus-news-digest.