March 18, 2020
Here are some things to know about UVA's and UVA Engineering's novel coronavirus response.
- Information for International Students – Although in-person appointments and advising hours for international students in Minor Hall are suspended until further notice, the International Studies Office continues to provide services to international students and scholars online. The ISO-ISSP team will be available to meet with students via Zoom. Students can schedule to meet with an advisor through ISSP Connect. Students also will not be able to pick up documents at Minor Hall. All students will need to request document shipping through eShipGlobal. The International Studies Office is maintaining an online FAQ to keep students up to date on novel coronavirus-related issues.
- UVA Engineering Facilities - As of now, all exterior doors at UVA Engineering are locked (in weekend/holiday status). UVA ID badges will work to open doors as usual. All card readers were upgraded to contactless "chip" readers last summer. If you still have an old badge (pre ~2015), or have a Health System badge that does not work, please contact the UVA ID Card Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and request assistance. They can pre-print a new badge if necessary, and minimize the time needed to pick up a replacement. Please realize that they are operating on minimum staffing while meeting increased demand, so patience may be necessary. Departments and offices will determine how to handle package deliveries, and more information will be forthcoming.
- Reminder from UVA ITS – “We are expecting high call volumes during this unprecedented time; please be patient. Priority phone support will be given via 924-HELP for faculty or students who are in an online class or attempting to connect to one that is starting soon. If you are in an online class or trying to join one, please use 434-924-HELP. If you are not in an online class, use any of our contact methods (chat, email, online) at https://in.virginia.edu/helpdesk."
- Where to Direct General Questions or Concerns – Undergraduate students should direct questions or concerns to their instructors and/or advisors. Graduate students should check first with their advisors. Employees should first report concerns or questions to their supervisors/department chairs, who will answer them or send them to the School leadership for assistance. The University and UVA Engineering are working as quickly as possible to address all feedback, so patience is greatly appreciated.
- Continuity Information from UVA Engineering Departments – Engineering departments have begun to make their continuity pages live online, an effort that will be ongoing over the next couple of days. Check your department’s home page for more information.
Where to Find and Keep Track of News and Information – UVA Engineering’s novel coronavirus web page archives our school mass e-mail communications related to COVID-19 and includes links to the University’s sites. You can find this page from the Engineering School’s homepage at engineering.virginia.edu. We’ve also got a new blog with updates, news and tips: https://engineering.virginia.edu/uva-engineering-novel-coronavirus-news-digest.