How to Apply
General Admission Requirements and Procedures
- Earned baccalaureate degree in engineering or related fields from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0 or better in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study. (Individual degree program requirements may be higher).
- Submission of all required application materials as noted below for degree or non-degree status.
- Applicants must indicate the specific program to which they are applying and should submit (or have submitted) all supporting materials by the start of their first term.
Almost all VEO courses are delivered in a real-time, interactive format. UVA believes that there is educational value in real-time interaction between faculty and students and between students. VEO students are encouraged and expected to attend their UVA courses in real-time. Exceptions may be granted by individual course instructors only on a case-by-case basis.
Non-Degree and Visiting Students
The Non-Degree/Visiting Student Account Request Form is required for the first term in which studies begin for those not admitted to a degree program. When completing this online form, make sure to select ‘Virginia Engineering Online’ from the drop down list of departments. This form allows us to add you to our Student Information System (SIS) which enables your registration in our UVA online graduate engineering classes. You will receive by email a UVA computing ID, a temporary password, and a Student Information System (SIS) ID. With this information, you will next log in to SIS via Netbadge, activate your UVA email, and create a permanent password. A score of 100% on the Responsible Computing Tutorial is required. Then, request permission to enroll in class by emailing the instructor your academic background and relevant work experience. The instructor will evaluate your readiness for the class based on this information. Finally, share your permission to enroll to our office along with a Non-Degree/Visiting Student Class Registration Request Form. We will take care of your class registration on your behalf. NOTE: While there is no formal language policy for non-degree and visiting students, the School of Engineering and Applied Science reserves the right to refuse admission on this basis.
An applicant must first create an account and then submit an application. Virginia Engineering Online does not offer all UVA Engineering graduate level classes or degrees. At the completion of the program one earns a Master of Engineering degree. Applicants are advised to keep this information in mind when applying. As the degree does not have a research component, there is no research area to select on the application.
- Three Letters of Recommendation (at least one from a professional contact)
- Official Transcript(s) of all previous studies
- Official GRE test scores **as required; see below for GRE waiver details**
- Application fee
- Additional supporting information desired or specifically requested
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) General Test is required for admission into most SEAS graduate degree programs. (GRE scores are not required for the Virginia Engineering Online ME degree in Civil Engineering or Systems Engineering.) Scores should be forwarded to the UVA Graduate Studies Office, code 5820. To have the GRE test requirement waived, see below.
About our classes
The upcoming class offerings will show under announcements here when they become available. Helpful SIS resources for new students, including instructional videos, can be found here: http://its.virginia.edu/sis/student/. To access class sessions and course materials, once you have registered, log in to UVA Collab. For more about our Online Learning Environment visit the VEO @ UVA Collab Site. If you have any questions, reach us at the Office of Educational Innovation anytime.
GRE waiver terms
- If a student completes at least 9 credit hours at UVA that would satisfy requirements toward a particular online graduate engineering degree program, AND
- earns at least a B- in each of those courses, AND
- has a cumulative grade point average from those UVA courses of at least 3.1, AND
- applies to the program of their choice, THEN
- the GRE requirement will be automatically waived for the student if they choose to apply. The Office for Educational Innovation will proactively notify the student of this waiver. The Director of Graduate Education may, at their discretion, require the offer to stipulate admission to a non-Fall semester.
NOTE: Foreign Nationals who are in the USA on an F-1 or J-1 visa must be enrolled in a full-time course of study. VEO does not meet that requirement. Prospective students with any other visa status should contact the International Studies Office to seek advice on whether part-time study is allowable.