Rachel Richardson received her Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Virginia. Her time at the Center for Applied Biomechanics has involved research on lap belt/pelvis kinematics, particularly in non-traditional postures. Her dissertation focuses on carrying this research forward, targeting vulnerable populations and improving ATD biofidelity.
BS, Biomedical Engineering – University of Virginia
- Integration of active and passive safety systems to prevent automotive injury, particularly in semi- or highly-automated vehicles
- Automotive occupant protection in vulnerable populations (e.g., obese, elderly, female) and occupants seated in non-traditional postures (e.g., recline)
- Human body modeling and simulation
- Morphometric and anthropometric analysis across populations
A. Refereed Journal Publications
- Richardson R, Donlon J-P, Jayathirtha M, Forman J, Shaw G, Gepner B, Kerrigan J, Ostling M, Mroz K, Pipkorn B. (2020). Kinematic and Injury Response of Reclined PMHS in Frontal Impacts. Stapp Car Crash Journal, 64, 85-153.
- Richardson R, Jayathirtha M, Chastain K, Donlon J-P, Forman J, Gepner B, Ostling M, Mroz K, Shaw G, Pipkorn B, Kerrigan J. (2020) Thoracolumbar Spine Kinematics and Injuries in Frontal Impacts with Reclined Occupants. Traffic Injury Prevention. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2020.1837365
- Richardson RE, McMurry TL, Gepner B, & Kerrigan JR. (2018). Field data analysis of recreational off-highway vehicle crashes. Traffic injury prevention, 19(6), 623-628.
- Donlon JP, Richardson R, Jayathirtha M, Forman J, Kerrigan J, Kent R, ... & Scavnicky M. (2020). Kinematics of inboard-leaning occupants in frontal impacts. Traffic injury prevention, 21(4), 272-277.
- Rawska K, Gepner B, Kulkarni S, Chastain K, Zhu J, Richardson R, ... & Kerrigan JR. (2019). Submarining sensitivity across varied anthropometry in an autonomous driving system environment. Traffic injury prevention, 20(sup2), S123-S127.
B. Refereed Conference Publications
- Richardson R, Jayathirtha M, Donlon JP, Forman JL, Gepner B, Ostling M, Mroz K, Pipkorn B, Kerrigan JR. (2020). Pelvis Kinematics and Injuries of Reclined Occupants in Frontal Impacts. Proceedings of the 2020 IRCOBI Conference, IRC-20-60 (499-515). Moreau D, Donlon JP, Chebbi A, Jayathirtha M, Sochor S, Overby B, Richardson R, … & Kerrigan JR. (2021). A Methodology to Replicate Lap Belt Loading Conditions from a Sled Impact Test in a Non-Impact Dynamic Environment on Whole-Body Postmortem Human Subjects. Proceedings of the 2021 IRCOBI Conference. (Accepted).
- Gepner BD, Draper D, Mroz K, Richardson R, Ostling M, Pipkorn B, ... & Kerrigan JR. (2019). Comparison of Human Body Models in Frontal Crashes with Reclined Seatback. Proceedings of the 2019 IRCOBI Conference, IRC-19-44 (293-305).
C. Conference Publications
- Moreau D, Donlon J-P, … Richardson R, Gepner B, Forman J, Ostling M, Kerrigan J. (2021). A Methodology to Replicate Lap Belt Loading Conditions from a Sled Impact Test in a Non-Impact Dynamic Environment on Whole-Body Postmortem Human Subjects. Proceeding of the 2021 IRCOBI Conference, IRC-21-36 (261-287).
- Richardson R, Donlon J-P, Chastain K, et al. (2019). Test methodology for evaluating the reclined seating environment with human surrogates. In 26th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), In press.
- Gepner B, Rawska K, Richardson R, Kulkarni S, Chastain K, Zhu J, ... & Kerrigan J. (2019). Challenges for Occupant Safety in Highly Automated Vehicles across Various Anthropometries. In 26th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV), In press.
- UVA Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Distinguished Fellowship, 2020-2021
- Murray Mackay Young Researcher Award for Best Paper – IRCOBI Conference, 2020
- University of Virginia Rodman Scholar, 2015
- University of Virginia Beckman Scholar Finalist, 2015
- Hiking, pizza, piano, and singing