BioBSE, Duke University, 1995MSME, Georgia Tech, 1997Ph.D., Georgia Tech, 2000
"I focus on engineering design, engineering education, and sustainability. My work leads to new educational opportunities for students like the interdisciplinary engineering design experiences of the Technology Leaders Program and the international design and consulting experiences of the UVA in Argentina and UVA in Sweden programs."Reid Bailey, Professor
Reid Bailey joined the University of Virginia faculty in 2006, after he had held faculty posts at the University of Dayton and the University of Arizona, where he was the Lockheed Martin Assistant Professor of Engineering Design. With a focus on integrating real world engineering work into classes, Reid:
- led the development of the Technology Leaders Program, an interdisciplinary undergraduate engineering design program at the University of Virginia, including co-creating the Rice 120 Lacy Engineering Design Studio, a maker-type space at UVa.
- created and currently leads two study abroad programs at the University of Virginia: UVA in Argentina which focuses on projects with wineries in Mendoza, Argentina and UVA in Sweden which focuses on environmental sustainability projects with clients near Lund, Sweden
- coordinated and taught capstone programs at all three schools, personally mentoring dozens of industry-supported capstone teams
- continually integrates real world projects with actual clients into first-year engineering design courses including teaching a section of ENGR 1620 at UVa and leading the first-year engineering design course at Arizona (roughly 800 students per year)
- leads student-focused engineering design conferences including chairing the IEEE Systems and Information Engineering Design Symposium at UVa from 2007-2016 and co-founding Engineering Design Day at Arizona, the largest annual display of student work in the College of Engineering
- co-authored a design-centered textbook written specifically for first-year engineering students, Becoming a Technical Professional
- authored numerous publications on engineering design education and industrial ecology.