WHO WE ARE
- DMSE consistently ranks in the top 30 of all MSE departments nationally.
- Awards 10-15 PhD degrees and 4-6 MS annually in Materials Science and Engineering plus Engineering Physics
- Is led by 23 nationally renowned professors, including three members of the National Academy of Engineering, 10 endowed chair-holders, and recipients of 35 fellow-of-technical-society awards.
- Supports 90 graduate students each year, involved in research, journal publication, and international technical conferences
- Received $9 M in research funding for fiscal year 2019, enabling student-centered research across the spectrum of materials for structural and electronic functions
- Operates sophisticated characterization instrumentation and computer modeling facilities in two attached state-of-the-art buildings
- Enables undergraduates from across the University to earn a minor in MSE and participate in sponsored research, or pursue a customized degree in Engineering Science
- Is home to 4 major research centers of excellence
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) at UVa offers the following graduate degrees:
- Master of Materials Science and Engineering (MMSE)
- Master of Science (MS)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The MSE Department provides undergraduate students with a foundation for understanding how the processing, properties and structure of materials affect the science, design, and application of materials with the following options: