Why choose UVA Engineering for a graduate degree?
UVA engineers are highly valued by corporations, governmental agencies, universities, and a host of other career sectors because we focus on providing our students with the cutting-edge technical knowledge, problem-solving skills and interdisciplinary research experiences that will propel them to leadership in their fields.
Here are just a few reasons why top students join our programs:
- We are one of the nation’s oldest and most respected engineering schools, in the midst of a top-ranked, comprehensive university, offering rich opportunities for interdisciplinary research, collaboration and student life. Click here to learn more about the University of Virginia.
- Our internationally recognized research programs are focused on developing interdisciplinary solutions to society’s greatest challenges, while educating the next generation of engineering leaders. Our research reaches across disciplinary boundaries to make real change for the benefit of society. Major research areas at UVA Engineering include, among others, engineering for medicine, engineering for the cyber future and engineering for a sustainable and connected world.
- Our holistic approach to graduate education, including technical, professional, and career development opportunities
"UVA Engineering's rigorous curriculum, coupled with my experience as an undergraduate research assistant, convinced me to enroll as a graduate student."Ayodeji Bode-Oke, Mechanical Engineering Classes of 2015 and 2019; 2015 Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Abe M. Zarem Award for Distinguished Achievement in Aeronautics
- Our size is a strategic advantage. We have high-impact research and educational programs to fit most students’ career interests, in an environment known for close, collegial, professional relationships among faculty and students. Our profile includes:
9 graduate programs plus online master's programs
Approximately 1,057 graduate students, with 69 percent in a Ph.D. program
$83 million in sponsored research
- Our award-winning faculty.
- Our focus on success for all students, with a dedicated Office of Diversity & Engagement and Office of Engineering Career Development.