Transportation Project Management Institute
The Transportation Project Management Institute (TPMI) is an eight-day intensive residential training program exclusively designed for managing the development phase of transportation projects.
The program’s objective is to enhance the knowledge and skills of project managers in order to complete projects on-time and on-budget. The program has been developed specifically for project management practitioners from VDOT, local government, and private consulting firms. Participants will be able to directly apply their learning of project management principles, practices, and techniques to their day-to-day jobs. Instructional hours in this program may qualify for meeting Virginia professional engineer licensure (or other) continuing education requirements. Certificates of attendance will be awarded to all participants who successfully complete the program.
Given that a central component of TPMI is the cooperative learning that occurs among participants during discussions and in case study work, an application process has been established to ensure that an appropriate cohort of participants collaborates together in the Institute. Please see the section TPMI 2021 for information on how to apply.
This comprehensive program is comprised of course modules covering a wide range of areas. The curriculum has been designed to provide participants with all the necessary tools needed to effectively manage projects through the development phase. Course modules include:
- Understanding Personality
- Leading the Project Team
- Communication Skills
- Project Development Process
- Project Planning
- Risk Management
- Project Scope Management
- Consultant Procurement Process
- Effective Presentations
- Identification of best project management practices
- Strengthened project management competencies
- Improved organizational effectiveness in managing project scopes, schedules, budgets
- Opportunity to impact project management policies, procedures, and practices
- Learning from real-life case study exercises with relevancy and applicability to everyday projects
- Establishing or enhancing valuable relationships and exchange of project management experiences and lessons learned between VDOT and Industry
- Professional network development
In addition, participants will work collaboratively to complete an Institute project that will be presented to program faculty and key transportation leaders at the completion of the Institute.