Transferring into UVA Engineering
For transfers from other institutions, see external transfers
UVA Engineering will have two transfer application deadlines per year, in December and June. In order to be eligible for intra-University transfer (IUT), applicants must demonstrate a history of success in a technical curriculum, as described below. Students without a demonstrated history of success and progress toward an engineering degree will not be accepted for transfer. Students will declare their major on their transfer application. There are no “caps” on majors and no separate process to apply into a major. All students accepted for transfer are placed into their major of choice.
Some notes about IUT:
- Before applying, we encourage you to email the Engineering Office of Undergraduate Programs at email@example.com, to learn more about the engineering curricula, transfer criteria, and other engineering-specific information.
- We strongly recommend applicants complete all core engineering courses (see below) prior to their application for transfer. If any of these courses are not completed, it is recommended that you make a note in your application of when you plan to take the missing course. Exceptions are made under very limited circumstances.
- For the December transfer window, only students that have completed ALL Engineering core first year requirements, and have continued to make progress toward an engineering degree will be eligible.
- Application Deadlines are December 15 (spring admission) and June 1 (fall admission)
- Evaluation of applicants for entrance into the Engineering School happens during the months of December and June, after semester grades become available.
- Notification of offers of acceptance into the Engineering School and an Engineering School major are made on or around January 5th and July 1st.
You must be in good standing with the University, including a CUM GPA above 2.0, and must NOT be on academic probation/warning (in your home school) at the time of the transfer application.
***For intra-university transfer applicants, courses taken for CR/NC during the Spring 2020 semester will not count for, or against, your application to transfer. Essentially, we will accept CR/NC as if it was transfer or AP credit. As always, we will be considerate of any challenges applicants have faced that impacted their GPA, including Covid-19.***
Core Engineering Courses:
|Core Engineering Course
|Courses Accepted for Credit
|Chemistry I Lecture**
|Chemistry I Lab**
|Introduction to Programming
|Physics I Lecture
|Physics I Lab
*Credit for Calculus I is not required to transfer, but is recommended for students not prepared to begin with Calculus II. Applicants who take Calculus I are at no disadvantage to transfer; a strong foundation in calculus is most important.
**Chemistry I Lecture and Lab are only offered at UVA in the fall semester
Find department contacts for individual majors on our Majors and Minors website.
Receive information concerning our transfer policy and deadlines by joining the Intra-University Transfer Mailing List.
How to Apply:
You can access the UVA Engineering School Intra-University Transfer application below beginning on November 15th to be admitted for the spring semester (due December 15th) and May 1st to be admitted for the fall semester (due June 1st). If you are applying for the December transfer window, please be sure that you have completed ALL Engineering core first year requirements, and have continued to make progress toward an engineering degree. NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
CLICK HERE to access the Intra-University Transfer Application