As swim team captain, Sean Conway spent much of his fall and winter in the clean, clear water of the University of Virginia’s Aquatic...
Wicked problems? Bring them on.
As the home to UVA's recognized undergraduate and graduate degree programs in civil and systems engineering, we are a leader in the study of human and socio-technical systems. Our faculty and students create innovations that will help address society’s most wicked problems, which are often emergent, large scale, and complex in areas ranging from public health to smart cities to environmental resilience. In a rapidly changing world, we believe that a better future is possible for all by training the leaders of tomorrow in a collaborative academic environment that encourages excellence in the classroom and laboratory.
Gayle has learned how to consider a system's or product's impact on the environmental and humanitarian aspects of global...
Courtesy Appointment in the Department of Engineering Systems and Environment, Associate Professor of Medicine: Infectious Diseases and International Health, Joint Appointment in Biomedical Engineering
- Molecular diagnostics; Polio eradication; tracking immunity and virus shedding after oral polio vaccination in resource-challenged countries.
Director, Center for Risk Management of Engineering Systems, Director, UVA Site of the NSF Center for Hardware and Embedded Systems Security & Trust, Professor of Engineering Systems & Environment; Program in Systems Engineering, Program in Civil Engineering, Member, Link Lab, Faculty Advisor, Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, Member, Technical Advisory Council, Commonwealth Center for Advanced Logistics Systems, Adjunct Professor of Engineering Operations Management, University of Southern Denmark
- Risk Management
- Smart Buildings/Cities
- Human Machine Interface
Asst. Professor, Academic General Faculty, Teaching Track, Applied Mathematics (primary appointment), Engineering Systems and Environment (joint appointment), Systems and Information Engineering (joint appointment)
- Computational Statistics and Simulation/Statistical Modeling
- Risk and Decision Analysis
- Optimization Models and Methods
- Massively interacting systems and the mathematics supporting rigorous analysis and understanding of their stability and resiliency
- The generic structure and the mathematics of large-scale simulation models of massively interacting systems
- Discrete and continuous dynamical systems, in particular graph dynamical systems (GDS) and their combinatorial and algebraic structures
- Event Prediction and Forecasting: point processes, Hawkes models, self-exciting models, kernel density estimation, spatial statistics, time series, predictive analytics, machine learning.
- Pattern and Event Detection: anomaly and hotspot detection, dynamic network analysis, clustering, data mining, NMF.
- Data Linkage: crime linkage, statistical forensics, record linkage, road conflation, clustering, Bayesian modeling.
Courtesy Appointment in the Department of Engineering Systems and Environment, Division Director, Distinguished Professor in Biocomplexity, Biocomplexity Institute, Professor of Public Health Sciences, School of Medicine
- The science of all data
- Social and decision informatics
- Statistical underpinnings of data science
Professor of Systems Engineering, Technology Leaders Program, Founding Director, UVA in Argentina and UVA in Sweden, Founding Director, International Residential College, Principal, Rodman Program, Director
- Engineering Design Education
- Interdisciplinary Design Teamwork
- Industrial Ecology