On behalf of the Systems and Information Engineering Department at the University of Virginia, we are thrilled that you are considering joining our graduate program and becoming a part of our vibrant academic community.
First and foremost, we would like to thank you for expressing your interest in our program. We are dedicated to fostering innovative research, multidisciplinary collaboration, and providing an outstanding educational experience to our students. We believe that our program offers a unique and exciting opportunity for those looking to make a significant societal impact. Our esteemed faculty members are experts in various facets of systems engineering and are eager to work with you on your research interests.
Your decision to pursue a graduate degree is an important one, and we understand the commitment and dedication that it entails. Rest assured, we are committed to providing you with the guidance, resources, and support needed to thrive in your academic and research endeavors. The University of Virginia offers a rich academic and social environment, and we believe that you will find our grounds to be a welcoming and inspiring place to learn and grow. Charlottesville, Virginia, offers a picturesque setting with a diverse community and ample opportunities for extracurricular activities.
Information about the application process and deadlines can be found on the UVA Engineering's Future Grads' Graduate Admissions web page and please do not hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com if you still have questions.
Before applying, we encourage prospects to review the information about the degree plan of interests (i.e. M.E., M.S., and Ph.D.) on our department website or the SIE GRADUATE HANDBOOK. Additionally, prospects interested in our M.S. and Ph.D. program should identify their research areas and faculty of interests before applying.
We look forward to reviewing your application and getting to know you better during this exciting journey. Thank you for considering the University of Virginia for your graduate studies in Systems Engineering.
Helpful Application Information
- Fall 2024 application deadlines: M.S. & Ph.D. - January 5, 2024; M.E. - April 1, 2024 (International Applicants) and August 1, 2024 (U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents).
- Graduate Records Exam (GRE) is optional, but recommended for international student applicants especially those without an MS degree.
- While there is no minimum GPA, most of our applicants have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.5/4.0.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for applicants whose native language is not English. If you are a Permanent Resident of the U.S. or if you have a bachelor degree entirely at an institution where English is the primary language of instruction, you do NOT need to provide these scores.
- Duolingo English proficiency test scores can be submitted as supplemental information but they are not accepted in place of TOEFL or IELTS scores.
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition test scores are accepted.
- Graduate student funding is available on a competitive basis. Ph.D. students are usually admitted with a financial aid package in the form of a fellowship, Graduate Research Assistantship or Graduate Teach Assistantship. Most students join a research group immediately upon entering the Ph.D. program. However, some students explore research with various faculty members and find their best match. It is expected that students join a research group by the culmination of their first year and then be supported as a Research Assistant (RA).
- We do not typically admit students requesting assistantships in the Spring semester unless it is at the recommendation of an individual faculty member.